Well, isn’t this a nice surprise for users of Verizon’s original DROID Incredible? Verizon just approved a new update for the two-year old device. Update 4.08.605.15 fixes the following:
Device Features, Improvements & Fixes
- Record and send a Visual Voice Mail to up to 10 recipients while seeing all parties in a list.
- Improvements made in Bluetooth® Car connectivity.
Applications & Widgets
- Resolved issue where purchased Verizon App ringtones could not be saved to the device.
The LG Spectrum will be getting an update soon, according to support documents published on Verizon’s site. Typically, an over-the-air update follows fairly quickly. Though this is not Ice Cream Sandwich, it is a sizable update with bug fixes and updated bundled apps. It also brings the Spectrum up to Android 2.3.6.
Read the full list of changes after the break.
- EAS password follows security policy, requiring an 8-digit password minimum.
- Application launch will not cause force close when the device is scanning for available Wi-Fi networks.
- Improved outline for multiple calendar view.
- Calendar reminders send notification at accurate time.
- Successfully sync Optimum Online accounts using POP3.
- Pinch zoom in Camera Preview mode to select zoom level.
Web Browsing & Email
- Sync and Connect email maximum count is 500 regardless of server settings.
- Browser launches immediately upon selection.
- Added ‘Select Search Engine’ option in browser settings.
- Google Search is now set as default search for a better user experience.
Applications & Widgets
- Google GMS (Google Mobile Services) is upgraded to Gingerbread R9.
- Updated Google Play (v3.3.12) with enhanced user experiences.
- Updated Gmail (v22.214.171.124) with a series of security fixes.
- Talk2 (v1.3) includes updated video chat capabilities.
- Updated YouTube (v2.3.4) includes enhanced editing functionalities.
- Visual Voice Mail connection has been updated for a better user experience when syncing email.
- Updated Apps:
- NFL v4.0
- VZ Navigator (v126.96.36.199)
- Amazon Kindle (v188.8.131.52)
- SmartShare (R2.0)
- Verizon Video (v6.1.34)
- My Verizon (v10.0.7)
- V CAST Apps (v3.03.41)
Hit the source link for the official support docs.
For those of you Droid 2 Global owners, you should start to be on the look out for a new software update in the near future. The upcoming build number will be 4.5.629 and should bring some welcomed improvements. Some of the listed fixes are:
- Device is enabled with the Wireless Alerting System.
- A Google Security Patch has been added to improve security level.
- Fixed issue where the device may power ON without user interaction.
- Adjusted camera settings will be saved, even after the device is powered down.
- Resolved possible device resets while playing music.
- Reduced Out of Memory errors.
Email, Messaging & Data
- improved ability to access and receive Gmail messages when the Mobile Hotspot is turned on.
- Addressed error that replicated thumbnails in message threads.
Applications & Widgets
- WAV files can be played from Visual Voice Mail.
- Purchased ringtones are now able to be downloaded, saved and used where appropriate.
The update is going to be 19.4MB in size and should be rolling out soon, if not now. I just checked my girlfriends DROID 2 Global and nothing was available yet so you may have to wait a bit before you can update. Be a pal and let us know in the comments when you see something, will ya?
DROID XYBOARD 8.2 And 10.1 Get Respective Updates, Improves Functionality And Enhances Stylus Support
Looks like the Xyboard family is due for an update as Verizon just announced a maintenance update for the pair to improve the overall functionality of the device as well as support for a few additional tidbits. The Xyboard 8.2 is receiving the 1.6.0M_279-MZ609 update and the 10.1-inch device is receiving 1.6.0M_279-MZ617. Both updates seem to be identical at first glance however, the Xyboard 10.1 is adding better support for the “Touch Response that includes Stylus enhancements.” Pretty sweet if you ask me. Maybe this will influence some of you non-converters to run out and finally grab the alternative input method now ($40). If you’re ready to improve your device, hit the source links below respectively to get your update. Don’t forget to report back with any issues if you have ‘em. Feel free to report them in our new forum.
- Enhanced browser performance to improve scrolling.
- Improved Touch Response. (Touch Response that includes Stylus enhancements for Xyboard 10.1)
- Maintain data connection when switching between Wi-Fi and the Verizon 3G and 4G LTE networks
Verizon 3G and 4G LTE networks.
- Successfully connect to 4G LTE network and see the 4G LTE indicator.
- The Daily application now comes preloaded.
- Device is now capable of Global Roaming.
Email & Messaging
- Successfully open links in email messages without device needing to reboot.
- Keyboard function supported in docking station
We recently told you about the DROID RAZR project that was taking place that involves a soak test for registered members of the support forums. Being apart of the selected group, I received an email today explaining that the soak test is getting underway and the list of updates and improvements are fairly significant. Unfortunately, I traded in my RAZR for the Galaxy Nexus so I am unable to actually monitor the improvements to the device but the update addresses the following:
- SIM Error notification has been fixed.
- Improved camera features and quality.
- Improved stability of menu access, Browser, Phone Dialer, video playback and music player to prevent Force Close errors and lockups.
Email, Messaging, & Data
- Updated ground message notification.
- Improvement in 3G/4G data connectivity.
- Maintain network connection upon completion of a voice call.
Application & Widgets
- Background color has been adjusted to improved readability in Lapdock connection UI menu items.
So if you are registered on the forums for the software soak than you should be seeing the update soon and will bring your device up to version 6.11.747.XT912.Verizon.en.US. If you are not registered and if all goes well then you can probably expect the official update to roll out sometime in the near future. The DROID RAZR was a pretty nice device to begin with and I am interested to hear how it is improved. For those that receive the early update, do us a favor and let us know what you think, cool?
Remember Verizon’s very first 4G phone, the HTC Thunderbolt? Well, it looks like Big Red is ready to send out the latest update to the TBolt and will bring the device up to version 2.11.605.9. As usual, the update will be OTA and contains a new radio (1.48.00.0930w_3, 0.01.78.0916w_3) as well as a few fixes that you will see below.
- Resolved issue with contact ringtones.
- Improvements to notification volume.
- Updated local streaming playback mechanism when network connection is not available.
Apps & Widgets
- Updated Twitter API for Peep/FriendStream.
- Clock app included in All App list.
- Improvements in Exchange ActiveSync.
We’re not too sure when Verizon will start to roll this puppy out, but you should see a notification when she’s ready. You can also do the manual check thing by pressing Menu-> Settings-> Software Update-> Check New. Be a pal and let us know when you see it pop up, k?
The major “bug fix” update that we told you about last week for the DROID Bionic is now live. It will automatically be pushed to your device at some point over the next several days, but you can try to pull it manually. From the home screen, tap Menu, then Settings/About Phone/System Updates. This is device build 5.5.893. Full changelog below:
Email, Messaging & Data
- Improved stability of data connection on 3G and 4G.
- Fixed lockup that could occur while browsing during the handoff from Wi-Fi to 4G.
- “Data Roaming” pop-up message will display once when roaming in CDMA internationally.
- Jump to the most recent message after changing the device orientation while in message list view.
- The number of devices supported by Mobile Hotspot has increased to 8.
- Fixes have been deployed to keep the device from becoming stuck on a black screen and requiring a battery pull to recover.
- Improvements in device stability help avoid device power cycles.
- When connected to a Bluetooth® headset or HDMI cable, the device will no longer lock up and power cycle.
- Improved cold SIM card activation speed.
- “Low memory” warnings when using the Lapdock™ have been reduced.
- An improvement to the camera’s auto focus will reduce the shutter response time and enhance the quality of captured imagery.
- During Location Based Service setup, a Location Privacy message will display.
- Fixed issue where the device would automatically power back up after being powered down.
The following Lapdock updates were made:
- Improved stability.
- The display will not turn off after use.
- The calling screen will no longer be recreated, improving performance.
- Reduced frequency of the “Low Memory” warning message.
- Use a wired headset without the interruption of a high pitched tone.
- Volume on the “Low Battery” alert tone has been lowered while user is on a call.
- Within the notification area, the Visual Voice Mail alert stating the server is not responding after a power-up has been removed.
Applications & Widgets
- Playback media can be heard while using a Bluetooth headset.
- Place a call to the appropriate recipient using the Contact widget.
- Improvements in the use of the Messaging application.
- After updating the contact database from the Messaging App, the Messaging UI will display the latest contact information.
- When moving applications to the SD card, shortcuts to these Apps will remain.
- Properly post and play videos to Facebook.
- Fixed issue causing apps to disappear from the app tray when moved to the SD card.
- Ringtones purchased from the Verizon media store can now be saved to the device.
- Apps can now be launched from the “Recent” menu in the app tray.